Aurooba and Brian dig into ACF Blocks and how taking a design from mockup to built with the Block Editor requires a mindset adjustment. They also talk through the code of a real ACF Block, coding LIVE on the episode and discussing the pros and cons of ACF Blocks versus native blocks – with support from GitHub Copilot, of course.
A full transcript of the episode is available on the website. Watch the video podcast on YouTube and subscribe to our channel and newsletter to hear about episodes (and more) first!
- ACF Blocks – https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/blocks/
- Brian's website – https://briancoords.com/
- Aurooba's website – https://aurooba.com
- (00:00) - Digging into ACF Blocks for the Block Editor
- (01:18) - Our ACF origin stories
- (03:38) - Switching to ACF Blocks from Flexible Content Rows
- (06:32) - The pros and cons of JSON
- (08:18) - Building blocks without a build process
- (09:20) - The two main types of blocks
- (12:34) - Why Aurooba never tried ACF Blocks before
- (13:57) - The fragility of blocks in the early days
- (15:25) - Approaching design atomically instead of as rows and columns
- (20:06) - Building a block with ACF Blocks
- (23:25) - Enabling Core Supports in ACF Blocks
- (26:11) - Live Coding: Adding background color support to the block
- (31:37) - Are ACF Blocks here to stay?